Thursday, April 24, 2014

Roses and Hope

Dearest blog,

I think I have come to agree that in some way you are my conscience. Helping to affirm decisions and thoughts within. Be kind, dear blog, because I have either done something very dumb or very brilliant. The thing of it is, I can't know, and won't for some time.

I'm holding my breath. Here it is. I was at the store and noticed Dollar General selling on clearance those bagged bare-root roses. Originally $4.50 (that can't be good...), they had been marked down to 70 percent off, making them around $1.30. Yes, that's what I said, $1.30. For a rose bush. Well, I'm not sure if you'd call it a rose bush but hope tells me it is.

Skeptical Kala picked up the bag, and sought after an employee to confirm that indeed, these were marked down because they were doomed to die or already had succumbed to it because let's be honest, they were $4.50 in a bag in a box at Dollar General. Because that's what I do. Seek answers to satisfy what I already "know" (I don't know). Didn't I say that's what my blog is for?

I found said dollar-general employee, who assured me that these roses were made to withstand months in a box... and that each and every one would come back. Perhaps it was hope living within, perhaps it was stupidity living without, but I took her at her word and imagined my new (and currently flowerless) garden bursting with beauty and color at the hand (or root..) of these bagged bare-root roses. "This is the only way!!" I thought, since money actually IS an object around my household (as it should be) and these little (and I do mean little) fellas were practically a dollar each. OK all that being said, excitement took over and I bought 10. Woops.

OK I know what your thinking. I am either very dumb or brilliant, right? I told you. So here they are.


Please be kind dear reader. As they say, ignorance is bliss. Let me hope and dream :) And hey, with 10 plants, one is bound to succeed.... right? Well, if not, I'm only out a few dollars. Also, I am aware that roses have a reputation and am willing to devote the needed time and research to make an attempt.

Last night I chose the three gimpiest looking plants and went ahead with soaking the roots over night. Here is that visual.

More updates to come. I have so many analogies I could use right now, about bringing death to life, renewing by the washing of the word, tossing fear to the wind and letting love cause beauty to rise from ashes, breaking up fallow ground for planting. I'll spare you for now. For now. :)

.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be eagerly awaiting with bated breath for that glorious day WHEN, not if, your first beautiful bud appears, and then to see them all blossoming in unison will be a glimpse of heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete